Sunday, August 10, 2014

"Sheik of Araby" / "Right or Wrong" (1921)


Music is often said to be a mathematical experience, in that there are 7 major chords and 8 notes which comprise all of the western music ever written. It’s different in India, where they have a seemingly infinite number of notes; or sounds; 64, I think. Imagine the possibilities!

I love music, and listen to a lot of older music. Sometimes I think I hear the nascent sounds of a later song in an older one. It’s usually just a phrase or so, a stumbling upon the same territory and sound, as another composer elsewhere. But every now and then I come across one as blatant as “My Sweet Lord” was to “She’s So Fine.” But this time it’s different.

These 2 songs were written by 2 teams of songwriters working at different ends of the country at a time when radio wasn’t available beyond the crystal head set phase. So that makes it very unlikely that either one of these songwriters even had the opportunity to plagiarize anything from one another. This is a true mathematical/musical coincidence. The odds are astounding that this could occur, even by chance.

“The Sheik of Araby” is a bit faster and in a higher key, but the melody is the same as the slower “Right or Wrong.” If you don’t believe me just sing the lyrics to “Right or Wrong” while listening to the “Sheik of Araby.” I have used instrumental versions of both songs to make it easier.

"The Sheik of Araby", like “Right or Wrong”, was written in 1921. The lyrics were by Harry B. Smith and Francis Wheeler, and the music was composed by Ted Snyder. It was written at the height of Rudolph Valentino’s popularity in the film “The Sheik.” It is considered to be one of the thousands of hits to come from Tin Pan Alley in New York City.

Now, moving on to “Right or Wrong”; remember that the coincidence here is two-fold. Not only did the music have to be of the same melody, the lyrics had to be of the same meter; as in rhyme scheme. This really is an amazing thing, even though the songs are in different keys.
“Right or Wrong" is considered to be a jazz ballad. The music was composed by Art Sizemore and Paul Biese, and the words were penned by Haven Gillespie. It was meant to be played as a foxtrot. Bob Wills immortalized this song with his two step version in 1936, which has become the standard.

So check it out and let me know what you think. Here’s the main chorus for “Right or Wrong”;

Right or wrong, I'll always love you.
Tho' you're gone, I can't forget.
Right or wrong, I'll keep on dreaming,
Tho' I wake with that same old regret.
All along I knew I'd lose you,
Still I pray'd that you'd be true.
In your heart, please just remember,
Right or wrong, I'm still in love with you.

And here are the lyrics to “The Sheik of Araby”;

Well I'm the sheik of Araby
Your love belongs to me
Well at night where you're asleep
Into your tent I'll creep
Aha

The stars that shine above
Will light our way to love
Ah you rule this world with me
I'm the sheik of Araby

Well I'm the sheik of Araby
Your love belongs to me
Wow oh at night where you're asleep
Into your tent I'll creep
Aha

The sun that shines above
Will light our way to love
You rule this world with me
I'm the sheik of Araby
Well I'm the sheik of Araby
Well I'm the sheik of Araby, yeah.


No comments:

Post a Comment