Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Eyewitness to Lincoln's Assassination - (1956)



I'm always looking for old TV shows and unusual things to post here each day. It's not as simple as you might think. Sometimes I have 20 things ready to go at once; while at other times I am really scrambling for something interesting. It sometimes feels like "feast or famine", and at those times it boils down to "sink or swim."

At any rate, this is a cool little segment from the "I've Got a Secret" television show which aired on February 9, 1956. The guest is Samuel J.Seymour, 97 years young form Maryland. His claim to fame is that he witnessed the assassination of Abraham Lincoln as a boy. He was about 6 years old at the time of the event at Ford's Theater.

I won't recap the clip - best to let you view it without a preamble. Suffice to say that it just one of the things that I enjoy so much about the internet. I can actually go online and find oral accounts of historical events from people who not only never wrote these recollections down, but are now; as Lincoln was;  lost to the ages.

These clips are valuable additions to the books I read. Enjoy Mr. Seymour's story as you try to imagine life as a 6 year old boy in 1865 Washington, D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment